You are here
An Infantry unit of the Reserve Officers Training Corps was established at Lehigh University in September of 1919. In 1925, an Ordnance unit was added and 1947 saw the addition of a unit representing the Corps of Engineers. In September 1955, the General Military Science program was initiated and branch-specific instruction was phased out in the 1955-56 school year.
The trustees and faculty of the University initially mandated all physically qualified students to complete the Basic Military Science course as a requirement for graduation; however, The University officially announced on 6 February 1961 that the ROTC program became voluntary as of 1961-1962.
Lehigh university was one of the first three schools in the country to have ROTC after its inception in 1919. Our special equipment and training facilities are second to none. We have 20+ acres of wooded forest adjacent to the school containing a ropes course, squad situational training lanes, and a land navigation course. All classes are taught in Jordan Hall, Lehigh University, Mountaintop campus.