You are here
Join us as we read and discuss our 2016 selections, exploring the theme Food: What Nourishes Us?
Faculty, Staff, & Current Students: Sign up here to be a discussion leader. Applications are due by Sunday, May 15!
We would love to hear your ideas for programming related to the 2016 theme, and we are always open to suggestions for future themes or book selections. Share your thoughts in our virtual suggestion box. Please also feel free to email Emily Shreve directly at LehighSummerReading@lehigh.edu with any questions, suggestions, or feedback.
OUR 2016 THEME: FOOD: WHAT NOURISHES US?
Through our book selections and other campus programming, we hope the Class of 2020--and the wider campus community--will investigate questions such as:
- In what ways do our food choices shape our identities and create opportunities for self-expression?
- What might we learn about a culture or community by examining their food traditions, common ingredients, and cooking techniques?
- What is the potential role of food and shared meals in creating communities? How have you seen that work in your time at Lehigh?
- Given the variety of dietary restrictions, food allergies, and personal taste, what can we do to ensure our meals are inclusive and welcoming to all?
- Does our relationship to what we eat change if we are actively involved in growing, harvesting, or cooking the food ourselves?
- What might it mean to eat ethically?
- What are the root causes of hunger, in America and beyond, and what are the possible solutions?
- How do our food choices impact the environment?
- What innovations in food production and distribution do you think will happen in your lifetime? Will we all be nourishing ourselves via Soylent?!