The information below is based on current University recommendations. Additional updates may be necessary as the COVID-19 situation evolves. Please continue to check Lehigh’s website for updated information and this page for the most up-to-date Community Service Office information.
Fall 2020 Updates
The Community Service Office is commited to offering students oppurtunities to meaningfully engage with the South Bethlehem Community. We are avaliblae at our office on campus and remotely. To setup a meeting or ask questions email email@example.com or call our office at 610-758-6674. The Community Service Office will remain open from 8:15am - 4:45pm, Monday through Friday.
Programs and Guidelines
As of 8/14/2020
The Lehigh family engages in community service in countless forms and we aim to ensure that service is effective and beneficial to both the community and our volunteers. We are intentional about providing learning opportunities for our students in partnership with the community and will continue to do so during these unprecedented times.
1. As we share in Guiding Principles, we believe that service is most effective when it responds to the community voice. We will continue open and radically transparent communication with our non-profit partners and follow their lead as we schedule volunteer opportunities.
2. Both Lehigh students/faculty/staff and partner organizations must observe all current CDC, state, and county/city guidelines for group size, physical distance between individuals, handwashing, sanitizing of surfaces and equipment and requiring proper protective gear.
3. Individual students, clubs, organizations, fraternities, and sororities, will be encouraged to both connect and consult with the Community Service Office to develop appropriate projects and service opportunities that meet guidelines and community need.
4. All students participating in opportunities through and in partnership with the Community Service Office will be provided hand sanitizer, masks, and gloves as needed.
5. Students will be expected to sign up and track service opportunities with the Community Service Office to support any necessary contact tracing.
6. The Community Service Office will work with partner organizations to develop innovative and safe opportunities to meaningfully engage in South Bethlehem. As a result, regular opportunities for engagement will be shared via electronic newsletter, social media, and our website.
All tutoring (in-school and after-school homework clubs) will not be conducted in person this semester. This decision was made in partnership with the Bethlehem Area School District. We are continuing to work with Bethlehem Area School District to develop virtual opportunities to work with the kiddos that align with the community needs. Current tutors will be contacted with their virtual placements.
We are working on a plan to offer students the opportunity work with our office this Fall despite the changes to the programs we offer. We will post updates on this page and via our electronic newsletter signup here.
The Community Service Office has worked with our partner agencies to ensure continuity of essential services to minimize impact for our local community. While we are unable to do direct service at the same level as in previous years, we are working to maintain our commitments to the community. To learn more about virtual volunteering, please click HERE. We are working to adapt our programs in ways that ensure our service corresponds with COVID guidelines and procedures.