If you or someone else is in danger, please contact the Lehigh University Police Department at (610) 758-4200 or call 911 immediately.
Hazing Prevention Coalition
You are here
The Hazing Prevention Coalition was created in 2013 as a part of membership within the Hazing Prevention Consortium. Members work with StopHazing’s team and affiliated prevention experts and receive extensive coaching and technical assistance to develop, implement, and evaluate innovative hazing prevention strategies on their campuses and to share their results among a cohort of peers.
The Coalition meets regularly to discuss on-going prevention, education, and awareness. The coalition is comprised of staff, faculty, and students from across campus departments. Christopher Mulvihill, Associate Dean of Students, serves as the Chair.
The Hazing Prevention Coalition helps builds an evidence base for hazing prevention on college campuses by:
- Working to empower stakeholders to recognize hazing, understand its implications, and step up to act/report when hazing occurs.
- Researching best practices across the nation and implements core strategies related to hazing prevention and awareness in order to promote a healthy means of integration into our campus community.
Activities & Initiatives By Year
- Established relationship with The National Collaborative for Hazing Research and Prevention at the University of Maine
- Created Lehigh Hazing Coalition and began monthly Coalition meetings
- Conducted campus hazing culture assessment
- Hazing Prevention Week held February 4-8th, 2014
- Received the 2014 Zeta Tau Alpha award for Innovation in Campus Hazing Prevention and Education: a $10,000 grant presented to Lehigh by the national organization HazingPrevention.org. Read more here.
- Website Development
- Bystander Intervention Training
- Conducted local case study: cultural audit
- Reviewed Hazing Investigation Protocol
- Hazing Prevention Week held February 9-13th, 2015
- Monthly Coalition meetings
- NASPA Presentation, May 2015
- Attended HPC Summit, June 2015
- Launch of Hazing Prevention website
- Campus-wide anti-hazing statement
- Monthly Coalition meetings
- Presenter Clery Center Webinar
- Presenter HPC Core Strategies Webinar
- AFA Presentation, December 2015
- Step-Up Bystander Intervention Curriculum adopted
- Hazing Prevention Month/ #HawksAgainstHazing (Feb-Mar)
- Conducted local case study 2.0: cultural audit
- Participated in HPC Summit, June 2016
- Participated in NCHERM’s Hazing Investigator Training, December 2016
- AFA Presentation, December 2016
- Attended NASPA Alcohol, Other Drug, and Violence Prevention Conference: A NASPA Strategies Conference, January 2017
- Hazing Prevention Week held February 28th-March 3rd
- Attended Novak Institute for Hazing Prevention, June 2017
- Facilitated hazing prevention trainings and consulted with groups as requested
- Monthly Coalition meetings (development of working groups)
Currently, members of the coalition serve on one of four working groups: Programming, Investigation & Processes, Communications & Marketing, or Current Trends/ On-going Education.
Opportunities for involvement range from webinars, participation in campus studies as well as membership on the coalition. For more information, contact Chris Mulvihill, email@example.com.