Fall 2022 Workshop Schedule:
Sex Communication Workshop 1: Attitudes and Beliefs about Sexuality - Thursday, October 6th at 5:00 pm in Williams Hall 341
Sex Communication Workshop 2: Sexual Self Exploration - Thursday, October 13th at 5:00 pm in Williams Hall 341
Sex Communication Workshop 3: Sexual Knowledge - Thursday, October 20th at 5:00 pm in Williams Hall 341
Sex Communication Workshop 4: Sex Communication - Thursday, October 27th at 5:00 pm in Williams Hall 341
The workshops are based on the Sex Communication Framework
Developed by Dr. Brooke E. DeSipio and Dr. Christina Pallotti
Culturally Competent Sexual Communication:
Awareness, attitudes, knowledge, and skills that work towards optimal interactions during sex through effective communication and the ability to understand and know the person(s) with whom you are going to have sex. Specifically the framework highlights:
- Awareness of your sexuality including desires, boundaries, sexual scripts, attitudes about gender, and sexual values.
- Awareness of your sexological worldview.
- Awareness of your cultural and familial values related to sex, sexuality, and gender.
- Developing positive attitudes towards consent, positive attitudes towards active ongoing communication during sex, and positive attitudes and respect for sexual partners.
- Gaining knowledge of sexual partners’ sexuality, desires, boundaries, and non-verbal cues.
- Knowledge of sex and gender norms.
- Awareness of your sex and gender biases and prejudices, as well as, the willingness to challenge sex and gender assumptions and stereotypes.
- Interpersonal awareness.
- Skills to effectively communicate verbally and nonverbally with sexual partners.
Culturally Humble Sexual Communication:
Culturally humble sex communication is a lifelong process because competence with one sex partner does not mean competence with another. Individuals can continue this process through:
- Engaging in self-reflection and learning about their own sexuality.
- Interacting with and learning about sex and gender from various people and diverse groups.
- Gaining knowledge about different cultural sex practice and different sexological worldviews.
- Attending gender and sexuality trainings and events.