Disability Housing Accommodation Policy
Disability Support Services (DSS) is committed to ensuring that students with disabilities have the reasonable accommodations they need to live, learn, and lead at Lehigh University. To that end, DSS works closely with Residence Life and Housing Services to respond to the individual needs of students with disabilities in the residential setting. Due to high demand for on-campus housing, it is vital that students requesting accommodations comply with all housing application deadlines. While applications for disability housing accommodations will be accepted and considered after the deadline, approved accommodations for requests submitted after a deadline will be subject to housing availability. The earliest possible communication with DSS and submission of application and documentation is encouraged.
Any student requesting a new disability housing accommodation must submit a completed request in accordance with posted deadlines for the housing application. Unless an accommodation is deemed temporary, all approved housing accommodations will carry over from one year to the next. There is no need for a student with approved housing accommodations to apply or renew a request for previously-approved housing accommodations. Only in cases when a student wishes to request a new or different housing accommodation will they be required to request a supplemental accommodation.
Approved housing accommodations for students with disabilities will be granted each year during their respective housing process throughout their time at Lehigh University.
Students without approved housing accommodations who wish to apply for the following academic year should submit requests according to the housing process specific to their year. Students with approved housing accommodations who wish to apply for new, additional accommodations should submit requests according to the housing process specific to their year. More information on the housing process can be found at Housing Services.
Students currently in housing who wish to submit a post-deadline request for the current semester/academic year should submit requests as soon as the need for an accommodation becomes apparent. Approved post-deadline housing accommodations will be provided on a space available basis. Once a housing accommodation is determined, a room change will be offered as soon as a space meeting the accommodation becomes available.
Requests for No Carpeting and/or Air Conditioning
Please note that requests for no carpeting and/or air conditioning that are not linked to any other accommodation requests are handled directly by Housing Services and are not processed by Disability Support Services. Refer to the Air Conditioner Policy in Residence Halls for more information and a link to the Air Conditioning Medical Form to be completed by the student’s clinician.
How to Request a Disability Housing Accommodation
Admitted students with disabilities who would like to apply for reasonable housing accommodations and services at Lehigh University, should do the following:
1. To request a disability-related housing accommodation, students who are NOT currently receiving accommodations should register with Disability Support Services by completing the Disability Support Services Registration form. Please note that this form allows students to upload documentation with their initial registration.
To request a new, different, or additional disability-related housing accommodation, students who are CURRENTLY registered with DSS should submit a Supplemental Request through their Accommodate dashboard in the DSS "Student Portal." Please note that this form allows students to upload documentation with their Supplemental Request.
Students requesting housing accommodations that are dietary in nature, including requests for kitchen facilities or meal plan modifications, are required to meet with the University dietitian as part of the interactive process. Consultations with the University dietitian can be scheduled online and should be completed in advance of the housing accommodation deadline.
2. Submit a copy of current disability documentation from physician, clinician, or diagnostician that adheres to the Disability Documentation Guidelines. Documentation must be recent. Updated and/or additional documentation may be required on a case by case basis. It is important that the documentation establishes a direct connection between the disability and the requested housing accommodation(s).
3. If they have questions, students should schedule a consultation with Disability Support Services prior to the Disability Housing Accommodation Request deadline to discuss their housing accommodation requests. Please contact Disability Support Services at 610-758-4152 to schedule a consultation.
4. Once documentation is reviewed, DSS will reach out to students via their University email either to schedule an initial appointment to determine reasonable housing accommodations or to request additional documentation to support their request. Students should be on the alert for an email from email@example.com articulating next steps.
Academic Year 2024-2025 Housing Accommodation Request Deadlines
Please note these deadlines are for students without current approved housing accommodations who wish to request accommodations for the future or for students with approved housing accommodations who wish to request additional or different accommodation(s) for the upcoming year. Unless an accommodation is deemed temporary, all approved housing accommodations will carry over from one year to the next. There is no need for a student with approved housing accommodations to apply or renew a request for previously-approved housing accommodations.
• Gryphons: Friday, February 2, 2024.
• Rising 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th-Year students: Friday, February 02, 2024
• Summer -- Summer Session I: May 1, 2024; Summer Session II: June 1, 2024
• Graduate Students: Summer 2024: Wednesday, February 15, 2024; Fall 2024: Thursday, May 15, 2024
• Incoming 1st-Year & Transfer Students: Monday, June 3, 2024