The group tutor runs a small tutoring group (maximum 10 students) that meets for two hours each week for the length of the semester. Group tutoring sessions can occur Sunday through Thursday. The group tutor works closely with group members to help facilitate their learning and provides members with the opportunity for discussion and collaboration with their peers. It is the goal of the group tutor to help group members understand complex concepts, solve problems on their own and encourage them to become confident, independent learners.
The walk-in tutor is responsible for assisting students who attend walk-in tutoring sessions. The walk-in tutor works two-hour shifts approximately 2-3 days a week between 3:00pm-10:00pm Monday through Thursday. During a walk-in tutoring session, the tutor should expect to answer student questions and facilitate student learning. It is the role of the walk-in tutor to help students understand concepts, solve problems on their own and encourage them to become confident, independent learners.
The residential tutor is responsible for tutoring students who live in first-year residence halls. The residential tutor works approximately 2-3 days a week from 8:00pm-10:00pm Sunday through Wednesday. During a residential tutoring session, the tutor should expect to answer student questions and facilitate student learning. It is the role of the residential tutor to help students understand concepts, solve problems on their own and encourage them to become confident, independent learners.
- Successful completion of one full semester at Lehigh and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher - Grade of B+ or better in the course you wish to tutor
- Faculty recommendation in the course you wish to tutor
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A genuine desire to assist your peers
Hours & Commitment
- All tutors must be available to tutor on a regular weekly basis for the length of the semester
- All tutors must be available to work at least 4 hours/week
- All tutors must be available for evening and/or Sunday hours
- All tutors must attend required training
Additional Responsibilities & Expectations
- Follow all Lehigh's policies as outlined in the University's Code of Conduct
- Follow all Center tutoring procedures as outlined in the Procedures section on Course Site
- Complete a mandatory tutor orientation program prior to beginning tutoring
- Participate in a self-evaluation process and attend a mandatory mid-term performance meeting
- Adhere to the weekly tutoring limitations the Center has set for group tutoring
- Complete all necessary paperwork in an accurate and timely manner
- Submit accurate attendance records for all walk-in tutoring sessions
- Communicate regularly with your tutee(s) regarding meetings, cancellations, progress, etc
- Maintain contact with the Center Director and be sure to communicate concerns/problems
- Be courteous, act in a professional manner and be prepared for and on time to your sessions
- Respect your tutee(s) and keep all tutee information confidential
- Do your best to help your tutee understand course material while fostering independence
- Uphold Lehigh's policies regarding academic honesty and never do the work for your tutee
- Observe a fellow tutor's session to learn strategies and provide feedback
- All tutors earn $11.00 per hour for the first two semesters. After two successful semesters on staff, tutors will earn $12.00 an hour
Completed Applications Include:
- Tutor Application (submitted online)
- Professor recommendation
Applicants will be evaluated based on academic performance, the application, the faculty recommendation and the interview. Please note that hiring decisions are also based on the anticipated demand for tutoring and our need for tutors in the subject areas for which the applicant is looking to tutor.