While tutoring is probably one of the more challenging jobs on campus, we believe that it is also one of the most rewarding! Tutors are needed every new academic year in many introductory and 100-level courses in Math, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Economics and Business.
Lehigh's tutors are a select group of undergraduate and graduate students who are chosen for their ability to assist their peers academically and for their strong interpersonal and communication skills. Tutors are recommended by faculty and undergo training offered by the Center. Other qualifications include:
- successful completion of at least one semester at Lehigh*
- a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a B+ or better in the course (A- preferred)*
- strong communication and interpersonal skills
- excellent time management and study skills
- a desire to help peers
*Graduate students need to have completed equivalent coursework at their undergraduate institutions or more advanced coursework at the graduate level. If possible, we ask that graduate students provide us with an unofficial copy of their undergraduate transcripts.
While hours are extremely flexible, tutors are expected to tutor for a minimum of two (2) hours per week and to commit to a semester-long experience. They will be asked to follow all Center procedures and to keep the hourly limitations we've put in place for tutoring. Tutors will be expected to attend/complete training, communicate with tutees in a timely manner, complete all necessary paperwork, be professional, maintain confidentiality, and adhere to Lehigh's policies regarding academic integrity. It is the role of Lehigh's tutors to help their peers become successful, confident and independent learners.
- Group Tutor Position Description
- Walk-In Tutor Position Description
- Residential Tutor Position Description
Click here to see a list of frequently tutored courses.
HOW TO APPLY
1) Submit our Online Tutor Application. We accept applications year round, but we do the majority of our hiring late spring for the following fall semester.
2) Submit a recommendation from a professor.
a) You may have your professor complete the Professor Recommendation Form (pdf). Forms should be submitted to the Center Director in Williams Hall Room 301.
b) You may have your professor send an email stating that she/he feels you are competent to tutor in the subject. Emails can be sent to the Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We can accept applications at any time, but we will only be hiring in courses for which we have openings.
- Applicants will be evaluated based on academic performance, the application, the faculty recommendation and the interview.
Information for new tutors
- Applicants who are selected to become tutors must complete a mandatory tutor orientation program prior to beginning tutoring.
- New tutors who have never worked on campus must complete the following payroll forms prior to beginning tutoring**:
- I-9 Form and Instructions (The I-9 form requires that you present either your U.S. passport or social security card. Please make arrangements to have one of these documents on campus with you.)
- 2019 IRS Form W-4
- Act 32 (Local Tax) - Residency Certification Form (This form is asking for your local, or Lehigh, address)
- Tutors may opt to have their pay checks deposited directly into their bank accounts. If you wish to have direct deposit, please also complete the direct deposit authorization form.
**Note: The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) in Coxe Lab will assist all international students with payroll forms; please contact the OISS to find out what forms and documents are required.